Bakersfield, CA 93309
- All funds raised are used for local programs and resources
- Programs offered to individuals, medical offices, hospitals and businesses
- Respiratory disease is the number one reason for the missed school days by children and missed days of work by parents.
- Asthma is growing at over 20% per year
- COPD is a growing disease and one of the most under diagnosed diseases.
- Asthma and COPD in the valley and Bakersfield is severe and growing
What We Do
Provide Education on the Management of Asthma and COPD (emphysema and chronic bronchitis) Through:
- Monthly meetings for seniors with COPD. Meetings include a speaker, lunch and social time.
- Annual conference for adults with lung disease.
- Camp for children with asthma
- Presentations to employees of large employers as requested
- Presentations to school personnel as requested
- Presentations to the parents of Head Start students
- Individual sessions with parents of asthmatic children and their families (referrals from HMO’s, private physicians, Kern County Department of Public Health, schools, Dept. of Human Services and self-referrals)
- Annual conference for patients and their families, care givers, school ACTIVE-personnel, etc.
- Annual professional education for physicians, registered nurses, nurse practitioners, physician assistants, respiratory therapists, pharmacists, and medical assistants.
Actively Participate in Organizations with Similar Goals Including:
- Kern County Asthma Coalition
Development of a County-Wide Referral System for Medical Providers with Asthma and COPD Patients
Attend Health fares and clinics to conduct assessment surveys, provide information on Disease state and other services
The above activities are intended to improve the quality of life for those with lung disease and reduce associated hospitalizations, emergency room visits, urgents care visit and missed school and work days.
- Provide one-on-one education to individuals with asthma and COPD and their families.
- Provide group education to people with asthma and COPD and their families.
- Provide work-site asthma and COPD education.
- Provide asthma and COPD education to the patients of HMO’s, private practice medical offices, clinics and Medi-Cal providers.
- Provide asthma in-service education to school personnel.
- Provide professional education opportunities for medical professionals.
- Provide a countywide Asthma Conference for patients and their families, daycare providers, medical providers, school personnel and others who may have an interest in asthma.
- Provide a day camp for children with asthma, ages 8 to 12.
- Provide monthly (September – April) Eager Breathers meetings for seniors with COPD.
- Provide an emphysema, chronic bronchitis, pulmonary fibrosis, lung cancer and Alpha1 conference for patients and their caregivers.
- Develop a countywide referral system for providers with asthma and COPD patients.
- Actively participate in the Kern County Asthma Coalition.
- Support the Kern County Department of Public Health’s ELCAAP (Enhancing Local Capacity to Address Asthma Priorities).